Monastery National School Ardee


Go to content

Main menu:


History

About Us

History of the School
Our school, was opened in 1938 by the De la Salle Brothers. It replaced the former Monastery school , (built in 1889) which had become too small for the increasing number of pupil’s on roll. The Irish independent covered the opening and described it as “one of the finest schools in the country”. The De La Salle brothers taught in the school until 1975, when they withdrew from Ardee. Br Ultan Sherlock was the last De La Salle Principal. The first lay Principal was Billy Hennessy who had been teaching in the school since 1960. When he died in 1994, Maura Melia, who was a member of staff was appointed Principal. Maura retired in 2009 and the current Principal is Mr Jim Mc Gee.

School Crest
The four quadrants represent the four areas of education- academic, artistic, physical and spiritual. The star at the centre is the De la Salle motif. The school motto is, "Mol an Óige agus Tiocfaidh Sí" (Encourage the young and they will prosper).


Home | About Us | Parents | Activities | Gallery | Curriculum | Sport | Site Map


Back to content | Back to main menu